Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Monday, October 18, 2010

Let Me See Your Eyes...

... for the eyes are windows of the soul.  When I can see your eyes, I connect with your heart.  With your soul. 

(Ring)
Me:  Hello?
Z:  Mom, hey, uh, it's me.  Ya wanna skype?"
Me:  HEY, BABE!  Give me TWO minutes...."
(scurrying away to my laptop)

Ahhhh, another marvel of technology:  Skype.
If it weren't for skype, I would have to rely on emails and written correspondence to keep in touch with my son overseas. 

When he was in Japan last year, we "skyped" (a buzzword that has become commonplace now) once a week usually.  Scheduling was difficult at times, due to the time difference, but it was so refreshing to be able to see my son's face as we spoke with him.  I could read him when I could see his eyes.  Having gone almost a year without seeing him, his first experience of living abroad, as a mother I was so appreciative of Skype and how it gave me the assurances I needed, being able to see his face, his eyes, read him.  This lessened the blow, making missing him not quite as painful.

On Christmas morning, 2009, I set up the laptop by the Christmas tree, initiated Skype, and we allowed him to watch us open presents, and then we watched him open his gifts we'd sent to him.  We laughed and shared Christmas joys together as a family.  He was WITH us, if only via Skype, on Christmas Day!  On the other side of the world, yet in our family room with us.  How cool is THAT?

On Sunday afternoon, just as I was preparing dinner, I heard from him via Skype for the first time since he arrived in Germany in early October.  He had to wait until he got an internet connection in his dorm room.  I'd gotten two emails.  And yes, they were appreciated.   

But yesterday when I got to SEE him, HEAR him...
see those baby blues! 


All is well.

Skype is definitely gonna be added to my list of "Favorite Things."

2 comments:

raydenzel1 said...

Y ou do the Mom thing well. A lucky son.

T said...

Oh thank you, RJ. That means a lot to me.

:)