A violation of accepted social norms, customs or etiquette, varying widely from culture to culture, usually used in social and diplomatic contexts; a blunder, especially a social blunder. A fashion faux pas occurs when the error is directly related to a person's appearance or choice of clothing.
When I was flying to Vegas in December of 2010, I saved the copy of Sky Magazine from my flight. Why? Well, for one thing, I was enamored with the beautiful photos and illustrations of Great Escapes, hoping to some day -- SOME DAY -- be lucky enough to make it to even one of these yummy places. But mostly because I could so relate to the hilarious quote by Clinton Kelly, the style editor of the magazine, from his article entitled "Party Poopers," specifically, his take on holiday sweaters and the heed to refrain from wearing "red and green" to holiday events.
I couldn't help but notice, once again THIS year, the many holiday sweaters, vests, sweatshirts, and other obnoxious adornments that people -- women -- chose to wear in their feeble attempt to look festive. This is one of those pressing times when one feels led to make a nationwide public service announcement to women who choose to drag these atrocities from their closets each year and dare wear them in public. (Spare us all and clean/update your closets: BURN THEM)
We've all seen them.
Enough already! ... she nauseously pleaded.
And so sharing Clinton Kelly's sentiments on holiday fashion faux pas, remembering how I giggled aloud when I first read this article on my flight, I decided to include excerpts from it in my blog. Point well taken, CK.
Your Sweater Should Not Light Up
Any garment featuring appliqued snowmen, snowflakes, elves, reindeer, Christmas trees, candy canes, holly leaves or Santa faces must be destroyed immediately. There's a law. In fact, if you are in possession of a sweater or vest that plays "Jingle Bells" or illuminates in any way, you will be deported. OK. I'm kidding about the law, but seriously, people, this is not cute!
Red and Green? No thank you.
When kids play elves in the school play, the teacher tells them to wear a red or green sweater. Then she makes them little caps out of construction paper. When you show up at a holiday party wearing a red or green sweater, you look like a 9-year-old with a glandular condition who lost his cap.
1 comment:
I'm working in a consignment store and we had a RUN on the ugly Christmas sweaters this year. There were so many 'ugly sweater' parties!
Post a Comment