Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Friday, August 22, 2014

It's Not Just Friday, It's a Boogie-Oogie Friday!


As I'd mentioned previously in my blog, I was recently revisited by hormonal wrath that I thought I had long-since escaped at my age.  But sure enough, I ended up caught in its clutches yet again -- no way!   There IS no escape!  Cue Jaws music.

(Scene switches.)

Recently I recommitted to a mini goal of dropping ten pounds that have crept up on me over the summer.  My motivation lately had waxed and waned, and it was beginning to eat at me --- EAT AT ME, get it?  Oh, aren't I clever.  So I decided to set a timeline.  Goals need timelines.  Get grounded people!

We will be attending a post-wedding party in Manhattan in mid October.  I figured that was a realistic window of time to drop ten pounds of fat.  (Fat.  Not water.  Not weight.  Fat.  Yes, oh, yes, there is a difference.)  Being in denial for several weeks, I hadn't weighed myself since mid June or so.  It was time to face the music and begin the dance.

I like to weigh on Fridays.  When I stepped on the scale last Friday, I was reluctant to look.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't good either.  But it was ground zero.  That's the relevant point.  Let the challenge begin.

And so just minutes after those annoying dogs began barking on my cell phone this morning, serenading me into a new day -- albeit still dark out -- I stepped on the scales once more for a progress report.  DOWN 3.5 POUNDS.  Seriously?  Suh-WEET!  How did THAT happen?  And then I remembered.  I had gotten a visit from Mother Nature about 10 days ago, so part of that was likely the dreaded water bloat.

But for the record, I think I'll claim at least 1 pound (if not more) of that from my kickin' hard work and rewards.  I've stayed rather focused -- except for one day when I ate way over my calorie limit for the day, one of those just-can't-get-full days.  (I learned a long time ago that one of those now and then, even once a week, is actually good for us when dieting.)  And I even had lunch out yesterday with a good friend/colleague that I hadn't seen in months, though I chose a grilled chicken salad and passed on their to-die-for bread, the bread that you can smell two blocks away?  Yeah, that bread.  I stared at it.  But I refused to let it pass my lips.

And as for the body-shaping approach, my workouts have been consistent and progressive.  Yep.  Life is boogie-oogie good!

"Let's see,"
as I wander into my closet this morning,
"how about this little black skirt,
this fitted feminine white blouse,
and nude pumps...for this fantastic Friday...?"

And so onward I go.  Oh, it most certainly will get more challenging in the weeks ahead.  One can't expect to keep up that pace week after week.  But it is a very motivating start toward the end.

Arsenal for today:  I'm reminded by a friend to plan my meals out ahead of time.  After all, eating out is the biggest challenge a dieter faces.  It's easy to plan our meals, weigh our meals, choose wisely when we're at home.  But when we are out, seduced by good times or laughter or friends or romance, the intoxicating aroma of yummy food dulls our senses.  We don't reason as well.  We make excuses.  Planning ahead is definitely the way to go.  Get online, pick your menu choices, and stick to your game plan.

I'll be enjoying wine today -- hell yeah, it IS Friday after all -- but I want to be prudent about my eating.  I can do this.  I'm looking ahead ... oh, there she is... yes, I see her... there she is... she's looking very fit for her age, in that classy, flattering cocktail dress...who is she?  Who is THAT woman?  That is the woman of my vision.

And I refuse to blink.




1 comment:

Deborah said...

You guys get to go to NYC? Oh the envy I'm feeling! One of my favorite places and I haven't been in a looooong time.

You rock and sock as always. Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration my friend.