Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Saturday, December 27, 2014

I'll Be Home for Christmas (shhhh! it's a secret!)

Jon, his mother, Gavin, Colton and I had gotten ready and headed to Candlelight Christmas Eve service, as we always do.  I had promised Zach that we'd try to Skype the service for him so he could enjoy it too from Japan -- no promises, since they were holding services in the old chapel part of the church, built in the 1800's, and I wasn't confident we'd be able to secure a connection.  But Colton managed to connect with him via Skype on his iPhone.  Colton, you da man.   Yay.  Zach can be included!

Zach had told Colton that he could probably only watch 30 minutes or so of the service, and he asked him to try to cover my song (I had been asked to sing Breath of Heaven as part of the service).  As we were leaving the church, the most meaningful part of Christmas, my emotions were running high.  The immense joy I felt for the Gift of Christ to us, and the melancholy I felt for memories and faces and voices of Christmases past.  But this Christmas, I was giving thanks that Gavin was able to get enough time off from work that he could make the trip to be with us, even though his girlfriend, an RN, had to work long shifts at the hospital both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, preventing her from coming along with him.

We would have Christmas Eve dinner together, pulled pork sandwiches with easy sides and appetizers and desserts -- of course, desserts!  But Gavin mentioned that he had errand to run.  He needed to go see his Mexican friend, that he had something to give him, and he'd be back in about 45 minutes.  (Mexican friend?  What Mexican friend?) Somewhat annoyed that he'd leave to go see a friend just as we were getting ready to sit down to Christmas Eve dinner.  But I didn't want to nag.  I had lost that right when he moved out a few years ago... hadn't I?  So I put on my "understanding" face and told him we'd wait for him.

The clock ticked away the time, and I began to wonder why he was out visiting a friend on Christmas Eve when he should be with us.  He hadn't been home since March!  This wasn't working out like I'd hoped.  Grandma was getting stressed out because we weren't going by the "agenda."  Relax, Grandma.  We're ALL hungry.  It's Christmas Eve.  We're not going anywhere.  He'll be back soon.  And then Chessie announced his arrival even before he'd made it to the back door -- a dog's keen sense of hearing.  Great.  Now we can eat.  I told everyone to grab a plate and we'd eat buffet style, and the line quickly formed.  The Christmas music was playing in the background, and every candle in the house was lit -- too numerous to count.  All was well.  Let's continue the celebration...
 And then the doorbell rings.

"Who would be ringing the doorbell on Christmas Eve?"

"Maybe it's the UPS man with a late delivery."

"I don't think so.  Or maybe... I don't know.  Hmmmm."

"Go see, Mom.  Maybe it's a delivery."

"All right," as I headed down the hall to the front door.

And as I peered out the sidelights, there stood Zach, grinning from ear to ear, hands in his pockets.  A vision?  And then I screamed through happy tears that could not be contained, "ZACH!!!"  I opened the door and we embraced...I thought I was gonna squeeze the life out of him...and I couldn't let go.  And I couldn't stop screaming .,. and laughing...and crying!  Zach had come home for Christmas!  So THAT'S where Gavin had gone.  Not to see his MEXICAN friend, but to the airport to pick up his brother.  (That Gavin.  Always the prankster.)

And THAT'S why Zach wasn't able to watch the entire service -- he would be in flight in that last connection from Charlotte to Charleston.

What a fabulous surprise for Christmas -- and all three sons were in on it!

Christmas 2014 -- all my sons home together.  It's ALL I wanted.  Incidentally, the wool camel coat?  Yep.  Got it!  And I was thrilled to see that it fit perfectly, bringing a very big smile to my face.  But having all three sons with me on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?  Nothing can ever come close to the joy of a mother's love.

Home For Christmas...indeed!








 


(My FAVORITE recording of this song.)

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Well alright now, I'm crying! What a perfect thing. Blessed a thousand times over.

Deborah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T said...

Mwah! You know, maybe the Hallmark Channel will call me and I'll become famous. :)