I stopped at the edge of my driveway, began slow deliberate stretches, sipping water, only the sound of my breathing and heartbeat in the stillness of the morning. Ready? Yes, responded my inner voice.
I dialed in my MP3 tunes, then began with a brisk walk. After five minutes, I looked at my stopwatch and said to myself: Hit it!
And off I went.
EXHILARATING
I can think of no better word to describe what a "dark-thirty" run feels like for me, removing cobwebs from my mind,
elevating me to a higher place than when I started,
a rush within and behind and beyond,
my energy and mood having been ignited
by the sheer motion of my feet against the pavement. Accomplishment.
Control.
When I begin my mornings with
coffee
and a run,
it jumpstarts my entire day.
It's my launchpad
to a successful day.
I read this in a fitness magazine recently:
"You can't beat exercise for escaping prevailing doom and gloom. In fact, 20 to 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, such as a brisk walk, can lift your mood for a solid 12 hours, according to a recent study at the University of Vermont. The effect is immediate...these are acute changes that can be felt for the better part of the day."
A hearty AMEN to THAT!


2 comments:
That fitness quote is the truth yes? Seriously true. I don't know why our bodies just don't insist on it by rote instead of naughty stuff, you know?
Of course, the drug companies wouldn't like that. JK, but truth, sadly.
Yes, absolute gospel truth.
And the bonus is, cardio/exercise doesn't have the side effects of a/d's and is virtually zero impact on one's $ budget.
The list goes on and on, the benefits of regular exercise. Controlling weight is only the tip of the iceberg.
PREACHIN' AGAIN, aren't I?
LOL
Post a Comment