What we have once enjoyed
we can never lose.
All that we love deeply
becomes a part of us.
- Helen Keller
When I shop, I love taking my time, scrupulously inspecting every little thing, the details -- the details, baby, the details -- heaven forbid that I'd miss something.
As I wandered through the home decor section, I stumbled across a framed black-and-white photo with a scripted quote in cream lettering. There was an empty bench in the center of the photo.
The quote was from Helen Keller. How is it that I'd never known about this quote before? How could I have missed THIS one? How it shot straight to the depths of my soul.
All time stopped, all sound, all light. I was aware of nothing else. Only painfully aware of the effect of those words on my heart, a stirring of memories, a comforting reassurance...the words written on this beautiful framed photo...of the empty bench.
Holidays have a way of shedding light on "empty chairs."
Mother, I enjoyed our time, our life together.
I loved you -- will always love you -- deeply.
And yes, therefore you will forever be a part of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment