No. 5. His football jersey flashes before my mind's eye ...
Upon learning of the news, I was saddened. Horrified. In shock. My mind was refusing to process what I was hearing initially. After a quick change of clothes, I hopped in my car to head to the game, and it began to slowly sink in, as did that sick feeling in my stomach. Along with hurt, grief, confusion...fear. Reactions of MY heart and mind, and all "from a distance." I merely knew OF the young man. I'd never had the privilege of speaking to him. I was trying to imagine what was going through the minds and hearts of those who knew him best, serving only to intensify my sick feeling inside. I thought of his parents... I thought of his teammates... I thought of his coaching staff ... all of his classmates and friends... I thought of his young life, ready to launch into a bright future upon graduation ... I thought of those moments of glory on the field that he and others were so proud of ... I tried to imagine his fear at the moment of this tragedy ... I wondered why his money was more important than his life to whomever did this senseless beating ... I realized it could have been MY son ...
And the more I thought, the more my mind wandered and my gut churned, my self-protection mode fighting to pull my thoughts away from it all, trying to focus on the evening ahead, the pending game, seeing my young son on that football field after not having seen him all week, playing along with his teammates in hopes of their next victory ... young, innocent, alive, well and safe.
And suddenly, my mind flashes over all the "setbacks" and complaints and worries and troubles and inconveniences that I had been confronted with over the course of the week...those things all crumbling apart and shrouded with the pain of reality.
Life is precious. It
can be gone in an instant.
Let go of the heartache and disappointments of life.
Focus on what matters.
Take nothing for granted.
Make a difference in someone's life every day that you live.
Do something kind for someone as often as you can, while you can.
Encourage others who need encouraged.
Show respect.
Tell people you love them as often as you can.
Hug them every day.
Let go of hurts.
Forgive.
Show goodness and mercy every day that you live.
Pray daily.
Give thanks.
Smile and laugh often.
Cherish life at all costs.
1 comment:
Oh my god this is horrible. I just can't imagine and my heart aches for his parents and all of his friends.
I love that list. I am copying it down to keep and re-read.
Post a Comment