ME: Hey!
Z: Hey.
ME: Where are you?
Z: Just now leaving Virginia.
ME: Oh, okay. Did you guys have a good visit?
Z: Yeah. We did.
ME: That's good.
Z: Hey, I wanted to call and let you know -- I just talked to Dad -- I received an email back about the job. I've been offered the job (in Japan).
ME: (pause) Oh....well...great! That's great! So there...Congratulations!
Z: Thanks.
ME: I know you were happy to hear back from them. This is so exciting and ... well, it's exiciting, and I'm happy for you....but....well, I mean....I'm happy and just a teeney bit sad -- but ONLY because I'm not going to be able to see you as often as I'd like...you know?
Z: I know ...
ME: But I AM happy for you, Z...I knowyou've been wanting this. I just...well, I'm a mom...I will miss you, son.
He has been preparing for this job opportunity since the first of the year, submitted his paperwork, undergone international background checks, and just over a week ago had interviewed with his prospective employer in Japan via Skype. And now it's a done deal pretty much. He will be leaving for Japan July 31st and will be living and working there for a minimum of one year, teaching English at a college in Northern Tokyo.
Gulp.
Reality sets in.
Be happy for him, Mom.
It's what he's been preparing for, what he's worked so hard for, what he's looking forward to.
He's happy. Be happy for him.
Let him prosper, find himself ... realize his dreams ... pave his future.
And remember to thank God for Skype.
After all, this IS in God's hands anyway. He is God's child first, and he's in The Best Hands.
Utsukushii!
(Beautiful!)





1 comment:
Oh yes. First - holy man, this is so damn exciting!
I know how hard this is. I hate the letting go part of parenting! Hate.it.
You are so strong!
Post a Comment