Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Friday, January 30, 2015

Making Faces

The whole mystery bowl thing has always disgusted me.  I can't do it.  I pass the torch.  And if no one steps up to the plate, it'll have to wait.  I can't seem to get it out of my head once I look -- and the smell!  Just can't bring myself to do it.

And bugs.  Same way with bugs.  They disgust me. And when I discover one in an unexpected place, I wig out completely.  And it doesn't do to step on it or squish it with a paper towel, because then I can hear their bones break -- and that's even worse.  Ewwwwww!

There was a Scwarzkopf hair color three-ring notebook in our bathroom that I was flipping through, perusing the different shades, and when I opened to the red section, there it was.  A little round armor-like bug was crawling across the page.  Naturally I shriek and hurl the book onto the bathroom floor.  Then, breathing rapidly in panic, I slam the cover shut and jump on top of the notebook.  Yes.  I did.  Jumped a few times.  Yes, I did that too.  The noise from the bulk of the notebook stifled whatever noise might have come from the bug's bones breaking.  Just don't think about that, I said to myself.  Seek and destroy is your mission.

What is wrong with me?

Once when I was little I was looking out the window and I saw a box turtle -- those are the kind that are black and yellow with the patterned design on their shells -- crawling VERY, VERY, VERY SLOWLY -- HARDLY-NOTICEABLE SLOWLY -- through the grass.  I freaked out.  Although I had wanted to go out and play, there was no way I was going out there until that fellow was long gone.

I have phobias.  Yes.

Turtles.  Lizards.  Bugs.  Worms.  Snakes.....Mystery bowls.

Okay.  I can't dwell on those images anymore.  Flipping to something pleasant...IT'S FRIDAY.  YES.  Already looking forward to a glass of wine (or two) after work today.  And we may check out a new (fairly new, new to us) restaurant in town,  The Blue Rooster.  We've heard good reviews.  It looks quaint and inviting.  Frankly, I like the name.

I looked outside a minute ago to check the streets.  No turtles.  But I see that they're glistening wet in the glow of the streetlights.   I had expected the temps to be colder, but when I checked my weather app, I saw that it's rather mild for a winter morning.  32? That's nothin!  Oh, but not too fast.  The home phone just rang and the recording just announced a two-hour delay for school this morning.  That sheen I see on the streets is a foreboding sign of the treacherous surface below.  And I planned on hitting the gym....!  Hmmm.

I'm giving it a shot.  Nice and easy.  Not much traffic at this hour.  I can do this.  Time's a wastin.  So chug-a-lug.  Coffee gone. Time to get this show on the road.  It's shoulders day.


2 comments:

Deborah said...

holy crap I'm laughing so hard! Love all of those phobias! Not that I love the things, no no no! But so funny!

What is a mystery bowl?? Do I need to google?

T said...

Oh my goodness, I was certain that was a universal term of art.

It's the leftover food that gets placed in obscure containers in the frig and left alone and forgotten until ... whenever? Long past recognition? Thus a mystery to those who dare peek?