Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Friday, January 31, 2020

Reflections of Light and Depth and Soul

My eyes open to look for light...

Is that light...
is it morning...
or is that reflections from the streetlight peeking through the blinds?

I feign consciousness.

It is so faint, the light.  It is morning.  Barely.   A new day.

Like a pogo stick, my mind jumps from one thing to another, trying to remember my to-do list for this last Friday of January.  Oh, but first:  COFFEE.

I pad downstairs, spying my charcoal and cream, insanely warm fleece pullover.  Instant coziness. Harkening winter birds outside the sunroom remind me again -- yes, I hear you, little ones.   It IS morning.  Sing on, friends.  Sing with soul.  Acoustic has long been my favorite.

I light a candle.  And then another.  Keep it coming -- flickering delicate light that visually warms and comforts me -- so I light more.  Reflections.  Winter.  The perfect canvas for reflection.

Making it to the post office (why must the postal worker be so chatty when there's a long line of waiting customers, can the story of her aunt in Ohio wait?), then off to pick up a few muchies for the upcoming Super Bowl.  And Stella Artois.  My football beverage of choice.

It's been a quiet last fews days of unplanned solitude for me.  Rediscovering my lost passions ... painting.  Creativity.

Rummaging through my inventory of paints, stains, waxes, brushes -- all things art -- I collect an array of colors for my experiment.  Black, canvas white, burnt sienna, urban bronze, camel.   They will play quite well together.

It is DEPTH I'm going for on a tired but promising mirror hanging in the stairwell.   I should have taken a "before" -- I almost always forget.   From a pale two-tone gloriless gray that did NOT pop, to this........

Depth.  Soul.  Rugged.  Acoustic, even.

If my mirror had a voice, it would be raspy and mesmerizing.  Like Ray LaMontagne.  (Oh, what a voice)

Mission accomplished.





4 comments:

Deborah said...

Hello my dear Miss T. This post just made me feel cozy. The warm fleece, even the visit to the P.O!

Did you enjoy the Superbowl halftime show? Those two ladies! Wow! Talk about dancing goals. It was fun to watch.

xxoo

The Gray Barn said...

Beautiful and your words...so comforting and calming. I had missed your posts, so nice to go back and get caught up, had been wondering how you and your family were doing. I followed you from the LCF days and you were so helpful to me, now enjoying your writing, it has a way to my soothe my soul. I live in Ohio and girl we are just something to talk about even if the line is long:)

T said...

Miss Deborah, I enjoyed the halftime show, I did ... but we all could have done without the crotch-grabbing on prime time TV. I think of our little ones. Keep it clean for football. Save the crotch-grabbing for R rated shows. Just sayin. But I love JL and Shakira's timeless talents!

T said...

TGB, I'm glad my words nourish your soul. No greater compliment than that! Ohio, yeah? I'm currently a sojourner in ways. Here, there, and everywhere, but I prefer to think of home as North Carolina. :) Blessings.