We discussed what he should wear. And then we discussed what he insisted on wearing. And then I set about ironing his clothes. He refuses to wear a tie. A coat is also out of the question. He agrees to a button-down and khakis. Great. This should be interesting.
He discovers that he needs a belt. A dress belt. He doesn't have one. Why? Because he doesn't like to 'LOOK' dressed up, and he chooses all of his own clothes. His clothes have to pass his inspection. Casual or jock. And even those categories have subcategories that need to pass his inspection. I've given up buying clothes for him unless he is with me.
So we search and finally find a belt in his brother's closet, which by putting it on the very last notch barely works. (He's skinny as a weed.) We then discuss shoes. He suggests his Nikes. Huh? To a dance? Nah. We search and search for a pair of dress shoes but find none that will fit him. I then remind him that I've tried repeatedly to buy him a pair of dress shoes and he has refused to shop for them and has insisted he would not wear them if I purchased him a pair. He has three different pairs of high-dollar sport shoes, football cleats, track cleats, and sandals. The end. That is his shoe collection. He decided on his black Nikes for the dance. This should be interesting.
He was tight-lipped after the dance with his remarks and feedback. In a nutshell, "he had fun."
Yesterday, four days after the dance, he mentions to me that, "oh, by the way, he'd like to expand his Christmas list to add a belt, a pair of dress shoes, a nice dress shirt, and uh, maybe some nice men's cologne."
Oh, my son. The pains of growing up. Learn to trust your mother, would you?
Mom's know best.
2 comments:
Aaaaaahaha! He is becoming a man!
Do you read GQ? I read it when I go the salon (every two weeks btw - sooooo grey). I love this men's magazine very much and am considering getting a subscription.
He is indeed. And a bit more painfully than my other two. :)
Yes, I love that magazine. I read it any chance I get. I also like Men's Health -- the articles are great and just overall informative...stuff WOMEN need to know! Too bad my husband doesn't share the enthusiasm.
/; |
Post a Comment