Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

CINNABUN Mini Muffins

It's no secret that my favorite brand of whey protein is TruTein.  Although I've heard great reviews on all their flavors, I've never ventured out to try any flavors besides Cinnabun.  (I'm planning to try the chocolate very soon!)

Although Cinnabun makes a really yummy shake for post-workout fuel, one of my favorite recipes to make with this product is Mini Muffins.  I've blogged the recipe in my blog.*  What I didn't mention in that post was the nutrient info for these mini muffins.  They make a great balanced snack at any time of the day, making it easy for traveling when options are limited. 

Just before leaving for the beach in June, I made a batch of these and placed them in two quart-sized ziploc bags to have with me in the car for mini-meals.  When it was time to stop for a pee break, or for gas, I'd buy a cup of coffee and have my muffins instead of buying salt-carb-fat-laden fast food.  They did the trick for replacement meals, keeping me feeling satisified and alert as I drove all those miles. 

I often enjoy a serving of mini muffins with a cup of green tea for a mid-morning snack on my break at work (or decaf green tea as a snack before bed).  In winter months when a cold shake post workout doesn't quite hit the spot, I opt for 1.5 servings of muffins with green tea (sometimes with a side of berries.)


My recipe makes 24 mini muffins.  Below is the nutritional information per serving, depending on the number of muffins eaten per serving.

Nutrients Per 5 Mini Muffins
140.2 cals
2.0 g fat
7.5 g carbs
4.0 g fiber
1 g sugar
25.6 g protein
 
 
Nutrients Per 4 Mini Muffins
112 cals
1.6 g fat
6 g carbs
3.2 g fiber
.08 g sugar
20.4 g protein


* (Adding 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum powder to the recipe helps to thicken the batter and makes fluffier muffins.  This works well for shakes too; I've tried adding 1/4 tsp to my shakes.  A teeny bit goes a long way!)

No comments: