Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Turn the Lights Out When You Leave

It's a rainy, cloudy afternoon.  Cooler temps.  We're finished with the docket for the day.  My judge finished signing all his pending Orders and left early for an appointment.  His secretary is on vacation.  The law clerk leaves early every afternoon.  The bailiff is taking care of business elsewhere in the courthouse...

And that leaves me, the court reporter.

Except for my soft jazz playing, background music, it is still as can be.  My candle is lit.  I could shout to the top of my lungs, and I doubt anyone would hear me.  That's kinda cool.  Just me.  Working away on my computer, mind wandering, gazing out the window now and then.  Catch up time.  Quiet time.  ALL.  TO.  MYSELF.

My phone hasn't even rung all afternoon. And I haven't heard the judge's phone ring all afternoon. (Unless the law clerk forwarded the calls....?)

It's rare that I have the entire suite to myself.  But when I do, it makes me wish I had a bottle of wine stashed away.  I mean, who would know?  And who would care?  And what harm would it do?

I could get used to this...



2 comments:

Opus T. Penguin said...

I need to bring a good bottle of wine to work with me too.

Deborah said...

I'm with both of you. We need to bring back the Mad Men era. I'm thinking of bringing a small bottle of bourbon to the office for the once in a while. It never goes bad yes?

I loved the mood that was set with the writing here. Very lovely.