Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Living (or Drowning) in the Comfort Zone


In lessons learned over the years,
I'm aware that to grow and realize our deepest dreams
we have to be willing
to step outside our
comfort zone.
When I'm at the gym pushing myself, gasping for breath, thinking there is no way in hell I can eek out another rep, I know that I have it within me if I want that extra rep bad enough.  If I say to myself:  I cannot lift more than X, and believe it, then I'll never lift more than X.  And life will go on.  But what if I WANT to lift more than X?  What if it bugs me until I know for certain that I'm capable of lifting X?  I will never know until I try.  Until it hurts a little.  Until it's a little scary.  Uncomfortable. 

Go head...jump.

It's like that with my other passion too -- painting, projects, creating.  I read up on HOW to do it, and I think:  But I'll screw it up.  I don't have a good grip on "the how-to" of it.  It will take too long.  And the list of excuses goes on and on ...

I have a jewelry armoire I've been wanting to get rid of.  I hated the color of it and was tired of looking at it.  It was headed to the garage to wait on a garage sale, and then I decided to ... jump.

I'd read about the many ways to paint wood furniture, give it new life.  So many ways...so many methods...overwhelming.  Yes.   "But I'm not that good," said my inner voice from my comfort zone.  "I can't do that."  That was just before I JUMPED.

This was the color before I began (shown with light sanding)

This is the base coat

I hand-painted cheetah spots on the sides first.
Then, sponged all over two shades darker than the base coat.

Then I brushed on an ebony Minwax stain,
wiping off with a rag, leaving heavier deposits
strategically for an aged look.



This is my comfort zone!
Seriously.  It is.
I LOVE "COLORING OUTSIDE THE LINES" WITH CREATIVITY!
And it's okay to be a little messy.
Neat...perfect...?  NAH. Way too boring.
 
Oh, and this incredibly sexy song I discovered
while dabbling outside my comfort zone!
 
 So.  The finished product?
 Stay tuned.



No comments: