I’m melting
here, people!
I'm hot natured anyway. Raise my temperature on top of my natural thermostat, and we have a critical situation here. Several times a day I'm running outdoors to the back porch just to diffuse. And it's WINTER. What if it were summer? Would they have to admit me to the hospital? Keep me in one of those tents on life support?
That's not funny.
Never mind.
My research tells me that wine and coffee exacerbate hot flashes. Great. Just take ALL of my pleasure away why doncha.I can't wear many of my favorites of my winter wardrobe -- ribbed turtlenecks, some of my heavier blazers, sweaters. I'm wearing thin, light layers most every day so that I can shed when necessary. No fun at all! I guess it at least keeps me motivated to keep my arms as toned as possible. No pressure. RIGHT!
So I dreamed last night that I was on assignment (assignment?) interviewing women about their hot flash experiences. What, when, how long, how extensive, what they did to alleviate them, whether they were successful in treating them. I was on the news, reporting live with my interviews. It was a funny dream. But not really. I mean it's funny thinking back to it, but the dream itself was tormenting. Maybe I should change that to "nightmare."
So I managed to get to the gym today around 11:00. It's my day off -- MLK Day -- and I had other errands to run earlier. I wanted to warm up (warm up?) with cardio. I suffered through on the cardio loft for ten minutes and then thankfully headed down to the [cooler] weight room for lifting. It was shoulder and abs day, with a four sets of decline skull crushers thrown in for triceps. I pushed hard for an hour and loved-hated every minute of it.
Three sets of each of the following,
unless otherwise noted:
lateral raises
lying leg raises/crunches with gym ball
wood chop squats with medicine ball
Arnold presses
inclined rear delt raises
inclined front DB raises
weighed planks (10 lbs 90 secs)
declined weighted crunches (25 lbs x 12)
leg extensions
bicep BB curls 21’s (30 lbs x 2 sets)
declined tricep extensions (skull
crushers) (30 lbs x 12)
Finishing with one continuous ab
cycle:
20 bicycle crunches
20 V-crunches
15 lying leg lifts
I'm driving home with the windows down, the cool winter air and warm sunshine in my face. Sunny and 50 degrees. This isn't supposed to last long. We're expecting snow tomorrow.
I have a list of things to get done today on my day off. I plan to make a chicken casserole for dinner -- my mother-in-law is coming to stay with us for a couple of days before flying to CA to visit her brother for a couple of weeks to beat winter blues. I'd like to go along too. But reality tells me I gotta stay put. We have a trial starting tomorrow. No goofing off for me.
So in the meantime I'll keep yummy candles lit, play music that soothes and uplifts me, keep popping Vitamin D and fish oil, make visits now and then to the tanning bed (thank you, Deborah), and stay committed to my morning cardio and my gym routine. It's my survival technique for the nextt couple of months to get me through winter. You do what you have to do. Look for happy...
And try to stay as cool as possible!
2 comments:
I am older than you and am STILL suffering from hot flashes. I wish I had a solution. I'm soon to visit an anti-aging and hormone therapy clinic and I'll have to report back if I have any success. They use a whole body type of approach. We'll see!
I'll be anxiously awaiting what you find out. Lucky you.
I've ordered Black Cohash and will be slowly upping dosages to see if it helps. One sneaked up on me in the courtroom today. My hands were busy on my steno keyboard while the sweat starting pouring down my back, neck -- couldn't stop to fan myself. Ugh. Misery. Being a woman is one hell of a challenge at times.
Post a Comment