That was Colton's off-the-cuff request at 9:30 p.m. on December 30th, less than 24 hours away from his anticipated Big Event. And after an initial inclination to schizz out a bit, considering the window of time I was faced with, I caved and thought to myself -- oh why not. Some day he won't be here, and I'll wish I had done more, tried harder. Taken more chances. I wanted no regrets. I wanted my son to have a memorable New Year's Eve at home with his friends.
Let's do this.
I cancelled my trip to the gym Wednesday morning, heading instead to the grocery store and a few other stops to hastily gather menu items, party supplies, noise makers. We decided on meatballs, wings, pizza bites, mac-n-cheese, buffalo chicken dip, veggies, chips, and Oreo truffles. I remembered I still had two large bags of NYE decorations in the attic from the party we threw in 2011. Bingo. But do I have enough time to clean, cook, and decorate before 7:30 p.m.? Somehow I managed, with Zach's help! His 6'2 frame sure came in handy, hanging the orbs and ribbons. Crack open the festivities!
After showering and getting blinged up, I tended to last-minute food preps while sipping on Ergo, dancing to early jazz -- so New Year's, no? -- and enjoying the sounds of Oscar Peterson. Colton dropped in and out to check on the progress, and he was pleased with everything except my music choices. No worries, son, I'm outta here when the first guest arrives and you can listen to YOUR music then, deal? The cook gets to choose the music during prep time!




2 comments:
That will be something he does remember always as you said. Way to roll with it! Teach me how to roll girl!
Your house looks lovely. Lovely!
Frankly, you could teach ME, I'm thinking.
Thank you :)
Post a Comment