Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Thursday, January 1, 2015

She Said Yes


It was December 29th.
I'd waited all day for the call.
Or a text.
Nothing.

The ring was to have arrived in time for Christmas.
It was to be her Christmas present,
his proposal planned for Christmas Day evening
after she arrived home from work.

But it didn't arrive on time.
And not the day after.
Nor the next day.

I knew how disappointed he was.
What was she thinking?
No gifts from her lover on Christmas?

Late that night I heard my cell phone ring,
awaking me from slumber.
And my heart began to race with excitement.
And I smiled.
Because I knew.

I had had to keep quiet for so long.
Sworn to secrecy.

ME:  Hello? (trying to sound alert)
HER:  I'M GOING TO BE THE NEW MRS. D!

Her excitement and giddiness squeezed my heart.

And we laughed
and cried a little
and laughed some more.
I could hear him laughing in the background.
And on she talked,
her voice soaring, song-like.
There was a punctuation of congratulations 
amid the exchanges of chatter
and laughter
and excitement.

And she loved it,
her ring.
"It's BEAUTIFUL!  He knew exactly what I wanted."

I know.

As I said goodbye, I told her that I loved her.
And she said, "I love you too, Mom."

And when I ended the call, I laid back on my pillow
and penned this love note to them in my head,
and then on a note pad.
And I sent it to them via text.

And with a sigh, I laid my head back down on my pillow,
and silent tears fell...
There would be no sleeping for me tonight.

My son had found the love of his life.
And there was going to be a wedding.

And my life -- all our lives -- would never be the same.


2 comments:

Deborah said...

How exciting! It must have been the hardest thing to keep that secret! Do you love her madly? She sounds like she loves you Miss T. Will the wedding be this year?

Exciting! What a great start to this new year.

T said...

Yep. Even worried she might intercept one of my texts to him! Haha. Yes, she's an amazing young woman, brilliant, kind and funny. From a wonderful loving familyl. And she worships my son. The wedding will likely be this year, and if I had to guess, I'd say fall -- their favorite season. :) Exciting? YES.