Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What's a Rootkit?

And I learned a new term last week -- Friday, at the office, while working on a transcript, surfing the internet, checking citations and spellings.  Then poof.  One minute I'm connected (via LAN to my employer's network) and the next I'm not.  I tried rebooting, checking cables, all of it.  Fast-forwarding, the IT people from our Admin Office came down and did some checking and ultimately announced that, yep, I had developed a rootkit.

Now that is a weird word.  It sounds a little vulgar, don't ya think?  What the hell is a ROOTKIT, I ask?

We live and learn.  I spent the weekend googling, running virus scans (I have a paid anti-virus program on my laptop that FAILED to catch and/or DESTROY this thing), trying to quarantine, etc., to no avail.  My laptop is now at the local computer repair shop.  I was assured that he could likely remove it without issue to my files and/or programs.  No guarantees, but likely.

I wait.

Separation anxiety.  My laptop is like my contacts.  I can't function without it.  That's silly.  Of COURSE I can.  No, it's pathetic is what it is.  (shaking head in shame)

So what do I do?  Depend a little more on my trusty iPhone in the meantime.  Not as efficient, but it serves a purpose.  I can't work on transcripts or do office work today, and we don't have court.  So I'll go in today and ... sit?  Stare at the walls?  Read my Kindle.  Or magazines.  Dust and clean out my desk.  The silver lining!

Yesterday was a BAD day for me diet wise.  It started out great, having a great metabolic type workout at the gym.  I was working mainly inner thighs, quads and core work.  High volume, high intensity, burn it baby.  Left there feeling fabulous.  But as the day wore on, my hunger levels shot up to out-of-control levels.  It was actually cravings more than hunger.  I wanted to blame it on something.  Everything should have an explanation.  Increased metabolism?  Not enough sleep?  Too many carbs over the weekend?  Lack of willpower?  Boredom?  Hormone flucs?  I fought it all.day.long.  Into the evening, I struggled with the cravings.  It was not a good day, but it wasn't horrible.  It could have been far worse.  I'm hoping for a better day today.

I downloaded a new app on my phone a couple of days ago, a freebie.  Camera360.  I'm liking the "sketch" filter.  Gives it a washed-out, retro, aged look.  Has a blur filter too, and you can increase or decrease all the filters and settings to get the look you're after.  Very cool.  My first photo, playing around with it.  The details in my jeans.  Kinda cool.  And my Easy Spirits?  They're old and the MOST comfortable shoe I own.  I've even WASHED THEM IN THE WASHING MACHINE.  They feel like house slippers.  I don't care that they're not the hippest shoe on the fashion radar.  I'm in love with them.  They comfort me when I'm missing carbs...and Vitamin D...and my laptop.


Maybe I'll fool around with this app at work today.  Let's hope the computer guy will call with good news.  And let's hope that today is far less of a struggle with staying on plan.

Time to do cardio.  Nice and steady today ... in search of cruise control.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

The virus-makers/hackers just keep getting better and better. It's scary to say the least. I'm in the PC world more and more (usually Mac-girl) at work and now at home with a work laptop. The viruses really worry me!

Did they say they can protect from further rooting? :)

I answered a few Vit D questions over in my comment section. Isn't that stuff fascinating??