Reviving the domestic diva within, I canned my third batch of salsa last night with the last round of tomatoes from our garden. From the looks of it, I may be able to
squeeze a few more quarts worth by the time the harvest is exhausted. The recipe, “Rockin Salsa,” from All Recipes
website, has been a winner. I’ve tried a
few different ones over the years; this one – with some minor tweaks based on
the comments from the reviews – has proven to be the winner. It has the perfect kick, texture, flavor, and
just a hint of sweetness – I like a little “sweet” in the perfect salsa. Of course, salsa is best appreciated served at room
temperature, allowing the base flavors to come alive, as with other good and luscious things, red wine
and cheese, to name a couple.


The plan was to get the last batch of tomatoes used up
before heading to the lake after work today.
It will be a solo trip this time.
I should arrive just about dark tonight.
After unpacking the car, I plan to pour a glass of wine, light a few
candles, and head out to the patio and enjoy the night air and quietude.
The plan for tomorrow is to head toward Charlotte, about 20
minutes away, and take in some great shopping on the hunt for
the perfect Mother of the Groom dress. Trying on clothes in a fitting room has not been on the top of my list for the last several months, having allowed the venomous Carb Creep to take its toll. With recent successes, I'm feeling less and less anxious about it now. Stepping on the scale this morning – even though Friday is officially
weigh day, but I won’t have scales at the lake – I was down another 1.2 lbs
since last Friday, not quite a full week since my last weigh in. Bang the cymbals, ring those bells! I’m so excited that I’m finally
getting a handle on this weight loss thing.
My lessons of exercise and nutrition and fitness from times past have
been invaluable in helping me stay focused and aware of the changes I’ve needed
to make week to week. I just wish I'd never allowed my weight to get this out of hand. First it's the harmless five, then ten, then fifteen, as the mountain grows ever steeper.
My next mini goal
is dropping an additional 4 lbs by the end of August. I can do this. So as
I try on dresses, I’ll try to keep in mind that by wedding time, I clearly will
be down another six to eight pounds. So if by chance I find THE ONE, and it’s a little snug, it will just be added incentive.
The plan is to carve out a couple of hours by the pool on
Saturday to grab a few rays and read the new book I’ve started, “Joyland,” by
Stephen King. I’ll be working on
refinishing a desk I picked up at a thrift store to serve as my vanity
dresser. I’ve packed a palm sander and
all the paints and supplies to take with me.
Can’t wait to see the finished product – transforming it from its tired-and-tacky,
shiny cherry finish with brass knobs to a yummy soft gray, finishing it off with a bit of tinted paste wax for added dimension and character. Isn't it all about building character? And then a new set of pewter
hardware.
Looking forward to mornings and coffee and quietude in the
sunroom,
overlooking my haven of R&R.
This WILL be a good weekend!


No comments:
Post a Comment