"I shall live badly if I do not write,
and I shall write badly if I do not live."
-Francoise Sagan,
playwright and novelist
1935-2004
(This blog post of several months ago now inadvertently "republished.")
I
remember as a young teenager keeping diaries, journals, not a daily thing, but
when the SPIRIT MOVED me to write. I would write about feelings, events, family,
accomplishments, relationships; a potpourri of seasons of myself punctuated
with poetry, letters, and lyrics.
I
remember buying hardbound journals at office supply stores for my writings,
illustrating them from time to time with sketches, photos, mementos, ticket
stubs, even pressed dried flowers.
From
my early years, somehow I knew that "words" -- writing, in one form
or another -- would become a meaningful and lasting part of my future, both in
my personal life as well as my professional life. I seemed to have an
insatiable desire to write, to document, to capture, preserve...
A means with which to
memorialize the events of my life with a permanency.
As
a mom to three sons, I suspect that I have become more introverted over the
years. Gone is the urgency to converse, express, share or release outwardly.
Let’s face it. Guys don't say a lot. They are often monosyllabic in their
communication attempts. Brevity is the objective. The less you say, the better.
The necessity to talk just to fill the void of silence? Nah. To speak just to
"take the stage?" Nah. No need. In our house, if you don't have
something really important to say, then you just don't say much at all.
Details are the clashing cymbals of conversation.
I
will often compare my reticence to other women. Regardless of their age, they
all seem to prattle on far more than I care to. Fascinating. At times it seems
their loquaciousness goes on and on and on... And on.
I
frequently will find myself scrambling to process in cliff-note fashion their
circuitous conversations.
It can be
challenging. It's all I can do to suppress the urge to say: "Hold up! Hold
up...."
Just give me the gist.
Is there a point to any of this?
Am I supposed to be impressed by that?
Do you have something to say? Really?
Or do you just, um, enjoy hearing yourself talk?
Maybe
that is why writing has evolved into an even stronger release for me.
I
don't need anyone to "hear" me. Or to listen particularly. Or to pass
judgment, compliment, criticize, or compare. I just want to get my thoughts out
of my brain, my head, my heart, and onto paper. Unleashed into a repository. I
just need to write it down. Freedom to purge.
Cleansed. Emptied.
Defragged. It
lends a sharper focus to my inner perspectives.
Fast-forward
to the 21st century. My journaling now
is done via the World Wide Web.I'm a blogger.
(I've never liked that word.)
Writer
ScribeReporter
Wordsmith
Okay. All of these work too.
writer
- n.
1. A person who composes with language.
2. A person engaged in writing books, articles, stories; a
clerk, scribe or the like
3.
A person who
commits his
or her thoughts,
ideas, etc.,
to writing.
All that matters is that I write. I write; therefore I am ...

2 comments:
I was reading something just today that was explaining one of the difference between introverts and extroverts.
One thing was introverts don't care for small talk much and generally are not really good at it.
Introverts prefer deeper conversations. Conversations that have, perhaps, more meaning.
I am an introvert. I believe you are as well!
People usually wouldn't categorize me that way, but I am.
What do you think?
Agreed, knowing you only for a short while, through your "writings," and certainly from a distance, I would not have pegged you as an introvert. And as for me, I can out-talk anybody when I really have something to say. I enjoy socializing and laughing, but I'm not the one who assertively moves to the limelight.
People, until they get to know me, often think I'm stand-offish, a bitch, ice queen, fill in the blank. That has always bothered me.
But it makes sense, what you said, that introverts prefer deper conversations. "Deep" is something I HAVE been accused of. I am what I am! LOL
We.Are.Introverts. How 'bout THAT? :)
Post a Comment