Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Birthday to Remember

Each year when my birthday comes around I'm usually on vacation on Marco Island, and I'm blessed to be surrounded not only by family, but by wonderful friends that I've grown to know over the years since vacationing there.  Having them with me on my birthday is an indescribable high, a lasting joy too big for words.

It was a beautiful day -- and on a Monday of all days.  (Best Monday I've had in a while!)  The sun was bright in the sky, ocean breezes all day.  I began the day with a 40 minute power walk down the beach, followed by the ascent to my tower unit at our resort-----128 steps.  (Incidentally, I made it my goal to walk this flight four times each day, over 500 steps; a mitigating gesture for anything I chose to eat or drink while on vacation.)  We spent most of the day in fabulous no-worries mode, lounging on the beach, the white sands and clear waters on our beautiful Gulf of Mexico seducing us with its intoxicating beauty.  Early afternoon, I decided to DRIFT ... floating on a raft for an hour or so in the ocean, listening to the sound of the water all about me, my head back, eyes closed, face kissed by the warmth of the incredibly bright sun, laughter all about me as my friends gathered near me in the ocean water, mingling, celebrating life and good times together, drinking our favorite beverages, telling stories, reliving the past, planning our futures.

Word spead quickly that it was my birthday, and soon everyone was warming me with happy wishes for an awesome day.  Working on my second legal beverage of the afternoon while floating in the pristine water, the sounds of ocean waves and splashing water against my skin, friends all around me, I remember looking back at the shoreline of all the happy faces of people, friends, lovers, and thinking -- wow, WHAT A PARTY!  All these people have been invited to MY BIRTHDAY PARTY!  

We decided to go to Pelican Bend for dinner that night.   There were eleven of us, and although we had a reservation, we had to wait for a short while upon first arriving, the perfect opportunity to enjoy the sights, sounds and music of the marina and have a refreshing cocktail by the outdoor bar.

Yummy Hush Puppies!  Carbs Be Damned!


My Son Calls to Wish Me a Happy Birthday


My dear friend Kim from NC



How 'bout a round of corn hole while we wait?

74cropped A
The birthday girl in paradise!

Look at all those fish!


My girls!

85croppedofMarcoMen
And my guys!

The sun bids farewell on the marina.


My Favorite Sunset Shot

We finished the day with ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery by Marco Bay -- Coffee Lovers for me!


A birthday to remember.  
I am blessed.


4 comments:

Deborah said...

That sounds so wonderful! Everyone looks so happy and . . . well . . . happy!

You know T-pretty, I don't think I realized how close our birthdays are.

Glad to have you back, but it sure looked like fun!

Not So Simply Single said...

Wow, what fun!

Lucky you babe...

I swear, you are a Farrah Faucet look alike.

(but prettier and SMARTER)

T said...

Deborah, I didn't realize it either. We are Geminis!

Whole 'nother can of worms to write about, huh? LOL

T said...

Oh, girl! What a sweet compliment. She was always my idol when I was a young thang growing up. :)

Smarter? How ya figure THAT?