Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Kickin' Butt -- It Hurts So Good

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discipline
is remembering
what you want.
~David Campbell
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



This week I've tried a bit harder to make good choices with my meal plans, focusing on eating clean, drinking lots and lots of water daily, and resuming more regular gym workouts.

Since returning from vacation, one thing after another has interfered with my focus and routine -- first the storms and oppressive heat, then the power outages. It was all I could do for over a week just to stay cool and calm.  Are we feeling cheerful today, folks?  (Insert annoyed face)

So here I am, over a week later, getting back to my game.  I've been prisoner to this sloth mode and careless munching long enough (carby munching dulls the pain when I'm stressed out).  My body is hungry for clean food, sharper focus, better-fitting clothes, improved self-confidence, deeper rest, and more energy.  It's all part of my allegiance to a clean-eating-and-regular-workouts game plan.

Most of my weekday mornings begin with 30 mins of cardio of one form or another.  I like doing varied stimulus to keep my body guessing.  Yesterday I decided to do a form of HIIT cardio that began with 5 mins of power walking (warmup), followed by 10 walking lunges (20 steps, one lunge each leg), another full minute of power walking, 10 more walking lunges, repeating this sequence until I reached 28 mins, with a full 2 mins of brisk walking cool down.  Then stretching.  Done!  All set.  When I finished, I felt good, energized, no issues.  Bring on the day.  Life goes on.

This morning when getting out of bed, my glutes were SCREAMING in protest, the soreness oh-so-obvious.  Ouch, every step.  Hellllooooo glutes.  This had me confused.  I had worked back and abs at the gym last night for about 45 mins, and I couldn't figure out why my GLUTES would be so sore, considering I hadn't trained lower body since Monday at the gym (today being Thursday).  And then it dawned on me.  It had to be all those walking lunges!  120 lunges, to be exact.

It didn't seem like it at the time, but that's a lotta lunges.  Even without the typical added weight/resistance that I normally use while doing them at the gym (I usually do 3-4 sets of 15 with resistance.)

Am I complaining? No. I love that kind of "ouch."  I love those reminders of my hard work. Work it, girl!  Burn 'em!  I've long ago graduated from Butt Building 101, entering advanced and intermediate levels in an effort to keep it challenging.  

And my rear view will hopefully love me for it.


WM4-19







2 comments:

Opus T. Penguin said...

Is that a picture of your butt? Because, if it is, that is sweet!

T said...

Nah.

I don't have many pictures of my own rear view.

But you're right, it IS rather sweet.