So in an effort to nail this whole pass-the-CRR-exam-or-else endeavor, I'm pulling out all the stops. One of the things I've added to my arsenal is Realtime Coach. It's my hope that practicing with this online program/software will help me to identify my weaknesses and isolate the hurdles that need attention.This is a humbling tool, this Realtime Coach thing. Shows very little mercy, can be very intense, and as is to be expected when learning anything new, I'm having to make sense of the settings, connections, and thereby troubleshoot my account and realtime practice for it to prove beneficial.
Since we've had a light docket this week, it's afforded me extra time to devote to focusing on improving my writing skills, memorizing briefs, solving conflicts with my writing theory, and practicing my speed building. Next week I won't be so lucky -- huge docket looming -- so I'll "make hay while the sun is shining."
I have countless briefs (steno shortcuts) in my software's dictionary that aren't being put to use. Oh, yeah, I used them at one time in my career. But when not used often, they grow dust and thereby slip far too easily from my memory. This is why it's important to continue to practice writing skills -- even though, A-HEM, I think I'm above that because, after all, I write in court every day, have been for nearly 30 years, so why should I be bothered with practice?
Well, now I know, thanks to Realtime Coach. Point taken.
I'm having to sacrifice down time that I would normally spend doing other things -- reading, writing, web surfing, hobbies, just to name a few -- and dedicate that time to doing what needs to be done, has to be done. What's required of me, my part in achieving this goal.
A life lesson revisited...
DISCIPLINE.
"Discipline is doing what is hard and necessary rather than what is fun and easy
and doing it when it’s necessary,
whether you feel like doing it or not."
and doing it when it’s necessary,
whether you feel like doing it or not."
Brian Tracy
1 comment:
This is the thing I have liked about you ever since we met years and years ago - lifelong learning. It's what sets failure apart from success.
I am a lifelong learner as well. It's scary and hard sometimes, but the rewards are phenomenal.
Post a Comment