Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Monday, July 2, 2012

No Power, No Fun

Beginning at 7:00 p.m. Friday evening, our area (and surrounding states) was hit by a monster wind storm, unprecedented, so they say.  Uprooted trees, roofs, buildings, etc.  Tornado like winds, widespread damage and power outages.  And at all times -- in 100+ degree temperatures.

In fact, the temperature hit 108 on Friday afternoon, just hours before the storm hit.

Thankfully, no one was hurt.  We lost a shutter off the front of the house, and two HUGE limbs out of two maple trees came crashing down, landing safely in the lawn, rather than on our home -- or car, or bystander!

We were without power -- WITHOUT A.C. -- for the entire weekend.  52+ hours of sweltering heat and no A.C.

We lost all the perishable food in both our frig and freezers.

We had to sleep on the back porch just to be able to breathe...sort of.

Long lines and shortages everywhere for miles:

No gas.

No ice.

No power.

Thank goodness I am always stocked with lots of candles.  They came in handy.

Totally miserable weekend.

Our county courthouse was closed today, many people STILL without power.

I was able to finally catch up today with chores, laundry.  Cleaned and sanitized the refrigerator and freezers, then set out to restock our groceries.

I'm exhausted.

Weekends are supposed to be the time to recharge, unwind.  Have fun?

Fun?  Not.

Just glad -- so VERY glad -- it's over.

4 comments:

Not So Simply Single said...

I hate when stuff like that upsets your serenity.
However, at least you didn't lose your home, or someone got killed...

Take time to breathe and appreciate the good things if you can...

Deborah said...

OMG -I'm so glad you guys are alright! That is hella hot.

I'm at the Mayo clinic with my step-momma and it''s

Deborah said...

Trying to comment from my iPad with spotty wi-fi. Grrr! Glad you guys are okay. Smooches

T said...

Thanks D.