Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hard Work Rewards

(Excerpt from Fitness Journal September 2010)
 I just read an article earlier this morning that was discussing the rewards of the laborer. One of the sentences read: "
Happiness is nearly always the rebound from hard work.....observe those whose work lies each day before them and who follow the exacting routine with faithful diligence, and you will usually find happiness present....we are happiest when we are using the great powers of body and soul....hard work, constant and sustained, is one of the never-failing springs of health, wealth and wisdom as well as the alleviation of the pains and trials of the mind and heart....."

That packed a huge punch for me.
So much truth to those words.
We reap what we sow.

Is it worth sacrificing foods that taste yummy and sinfully good
for foods that are healthier for me (faithful diligence, routine)
to feel better, look better, sleep better, feel more confident?

Is it worth it to me to sweat and grind it out,
exhaust myself on runs,
pushing myself in the weight room
(hard work, constant and sustained)
to be able to look in the mirror and see those
hard-earned contours in my musculature,
lean muscle where there once was fat?

Is this worth having more energy
to move about my day,
allowing me to sleep better at night,
promoting longevity and health and self-confidence?

Quite simply -- Yes.

Full circle.

It has become what I am, what I'm made of, what moves me.
It’s what defines me.

Vince Lombardi  once said:
The harder you work,
the harder it is to surrender.

Over the last few years, in my quest to better myself, improve my health and fitness, I've gained a lot of knowledge, valuable insight, beneficial lessons and tips and guidance. It's one thing to know. But I wanted more than just to know. I wanted to put what I now know into action.  I wanted to make it happen.
Knowing is not enough, we must apply.
Willing is not enough, we must do.
Johann von Goethe
"Happiness is nearly always the rebound from hard work.....
observe those whose work lies each day before them
and who follow the exacting routine with faithful diligence,
and you will usually find happiness present....
we are happiest when we are using the great powers of body and soul....
hard work, constant and sustained, is one of the never-failing springs
of health, wealth and wisdom
as well as the alleviation of the pains and trials of the mind and heart....."


Nov 2011

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Oh.my.gosh. You really and always look so fantastic!

T said...

Thanks, Deborah.

You are way kind!

estetik said...

You are really looking fantastic!estetik