The mountains of West Virginia saw record snows for this time of year, but the Mountaineers of WV know how to deal with heavy snowstorms. Most were spared the kinds of destruction seen further north. My heart goes out especially to the victims of New Jersey and New York, those hardest hit. I pray for their comfort, healing, protection, and restoration to a somewhat normal life.
Our power flickered several times throughout the day. I got up at my usual time to discover the unexpected falling snow accumulating quickly. I took a few photos. The announcement came that schools would be closed for the day, so I let my son sleep. I had proceeded with my morning workout, my shower, my normal routine, until learning that trees were down throughout my community, on the roads, and the snow was piling up quickly. I texted my office and was told that court was cancelled, to stay put. Luckily I had my laptop and I could still work from home on transcripts.
While working on transcripts, sipping coffee and listening to the relaxing music of Winter Sonata on Pandora, I found myself constantly peeking at my open browser at the updates and photos of the storm's path. Horrible. Frightening. Grateful that I still had power, warmth, the protection of my home.
My heart hurts as I think about friends who live in the path of those hardest hit by this storm. Are you okay? I wish I could talk to you. I need to know.
When does life return to normal for the victims after this unseasonal interruption with Mother Nature? We wait and see.
My favorite season, robbed of its glory by the interruption of winter weather. An event to remember for years to come ...

5 comments:
It's too horrible isn't it? I watch coverage all the time.
The snow is beautiful though.
You pictures are a fantasy that I wish I could one day see in real life. They translate a scenery that I never get to see, but with that come events that I rarely have to deal with - power failures, winter related road closures, uprooted decades old trees, people trapped in their homes. Thank you for your words and sharing your photos. They make me realize how blessed I sometimes am to live in the southwest.
I'm glad you are safe, and I pray that your friends and family are safe as well. While there is so much destruction and horribleness, the beauty of the snow and the colorful leaves, as well as the beauty of the rainbow that appeared in New York after Sandy, remind me that God can bring good out of evil.
I have had the pleasure of visiting the Southwest twice. I was in awe. It has a beauty all its own. I think I would like living there. I hope you have the opportunity to see the beauty we are blessed with here on the east coast. There is much beauty to be appreciated ALL across our country. We are a blessed nation.
Thank you.
Indeed. The Creator of the beauty we experience, the God of Love and Goodness, has promised to once and for all silence Evil for eternity. It is the hope that binds us in strength and victory. That rainbow is one of many "promissory notes." :)
Post a Comment