Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Saturday, November 24, 2012

We Gather Together ...

... and then we gather some more:

Branches, pine, pinecones, acorns, pods, leaves -- to name a few.

Thanksgiving was spent on my mother-on-law's farm again this year.  My son's girlfriend joined us for the first time this year.  I was a little worried about her getting bored -- no cell service, no internet, and only three TV stations.  Yes, it is THAT remote.  I wondered if she'd like the food.  I worried that she'd feel suffocated by the small, cluttered farmhouse.  I wondered if she'd wish she'd spent the day with her family, a large Italian famiy who gather each year in PA and painstakingly prepare hoards of yummy [fancy] spreads of food.  What would she think of our traditional,
      simple
Thanksgiving meal
on a small,
       remote
and very quiet farm. 

My concerns were put to rest almost immediately upon my arrival as we greeted each other.  She was dressed comfortably and cozy in VERY casual clothes, no makeup, a beaming smile, and a genuine warm hug.  Somehow I knew this was where she wanted to be.

During the three days I spent there we:

  • Laughed
  • Cooked
  • Told stories
  • Played board games
  • Sat by the campfire each night under the stars
  • Hiked
  • Gathered wonderful bounties from nature for my Christmas decorating
  • Shared stores while (some) of the men hunted
  • Napped
  • ... and gave thanks for the opportunity to gather together as a family in these simple and humble surroundings, a venue which beckoned our desire to slow down, to pay allegience to the things in life that matter most,  and give thanks for our many and countless blessings as we shared our Thanksgiving meal together around the table.

During my two days spent there, I was able to harvest wonderful tokens of nature's beautiful bounty to launch my Christmas decorating -- which begins today!  I'm sad to take down my fall decorations, it being my favorite season.  But Christmas decorating has always been fulfilling and fun as well, and as I write this blog post, I realize that time is wasting.  Having arrived back home last night, finishing up the calligraphy on my outdoor "carol sign," I need to get busy.  Lots to do today and tomorrow.  My guess is I'll be making a few trips to Home Depot, because I ALWAYS discover at least one more thing I need for finishing touches. 

And I simply CANNOT WAIT to see how my harvested finds from the farm will look when it's all done.  On my third cup of coffee... here I go!


 
 

 


 






4 comments:

Anita said...

I'm one of your faithful followers, hope it's OK to leave few words here. Your Thanksgiving gathering sounds beautiful! I'm thankful for so many amazing and yet, very simple things in my life, and my list wouldn't be complete without adding your wonderful blog to it. Thank you for your wisdom, humility, kindness, knowledge and sheer beauty I can see through your eyes :)

T said...

Anita, how very sweet of you. Your words bless my heart to the brim. You've no idea how much it means to me to know that my little window of the world can bring smiles of appreciation to yours.

Happiness and all good things to you and yours.

Deborah said...

You are so photogenic! I love how your holiday weekend sounded. So lovely.

T said...

Thank you, Deborah.

Being in that environment can be cathartic. That's for certain.