My youngest son has been struggling these past few weeks in his language class as a sophomore. I'm not exactly surprised at his shortcomings in spelling and basic grammar. I knew this would eventually happen. I've been begging him for years to read. Just READ! Read anything, everything -- SOMETHING. Doesn't matter the type of book or content particularly, just find something that interests you and READ. Not interested.
When my sons were babies, I read to them constantly, hoping it would instill a love for reading. In his earlier years, Zach wasn't as voracious of a reader as I was when I was young, but it began to grow on him as years passed, and as a college student, his appreciation for reading blossomed and eventually exploded. He reads constantly now. Gavin eventually began reading more as well, but not nearly as expansively. I'm hoping Colton will cultivate a deeper respect for the eternal and limitless benefit of reading as he begins preparing for college.
C'mon, son. Don't let your momma down! Read! Read! Read!
Misspelling of the Year for 2013
according
to
Dictionary.com
furlough
It appears the most popular spellings from most
of the misguided souls
furlo
furlow
ferlow
Really?
A
piece of advice.

4 comments:
what do his teachers recommend for him?
I recently joined a book club. Our first meeting is next week.
What are his passions? What is his favorite thing to do/see/think about? I wonder if reading about any or all of those things would help?
Or he'll come to it like your other son did. In his time and when he is really ready?
He's paying more attention than you think I bet. I have found out things much later that my girls listened to that I wouldn't have dreamed they were.
His teachers speak highly of him because he's otherwise a very bright young man. He just needs turned on to reading. Good point...he wants to major in finance, so maybe if I find something on the best seller list on this subject and surprise him with it as a motivator/encouragement. :)
Is your son an auditory learner, by chance? (or even kinesthetic?) I have a theory that visual learners enjoy reading more. My daughter, whom I read to every day until her own reading assignments interfered, doesn't enjoy reading either. It makes me sad, but that's just her. My sister was the same way, but as an adult she became an avid reader. (And the only books my daughter has enjoyed in high school have been most of the classics that have been assigned. She actually enjoyed them!)
Post a Comment