- School begins in August
- Football training begins in August (or sooner)
- Back to college (and football) for my middle son
- Composition notebooks and school supplies begin filling the aisles in the stores
- Tomatoes begin ripening sooner than we can eat (or prepare) them
- Flowers in the garden lose their lushness from the mid-end summer heat
- Stores begin stocking their shelves with Halloween candy
What?
Yes, and we'll all begin seeing Christmas decorations any day now.
Why do we rush the seasons?
We must put an end to this madness.
As I reflect on this past year, I realize that it was August -- August 15th, to be exact -- that I began prepping for my first figure competition. I remember my feelings of anxiety and self-doubt. Questioning my sanity. The butterflies in my stomach at the thought of getting on a stage in a teeny bikini in front of a sea of scrutinizing judges. I remember feeling embarrassed to tell anyone of my plans; only a handful of people knew. Gathering the support from my friends and family members was crucial to my success, that much I knew. But it was myself that I had to convince first -- Do I have what it takes, or am I living in a dream world?
One year later, random thoughts enter my mind...One more time? Or am I finished? Am I too old for one more shot at this? Am I up to it? Do I have the time? Will I have the support? Is it worth it? What will it prove? Are my priorities out of order? Should I be focusing on other (more important) goals?
And as I drive by the gym every day...
Or read Oxygen articles, past and present...
As I pull on my training gloves each session --
Or lace up my shoes --
Or down my BCAA's before a workout --
As I hear "deja vu" tunes on my MP3, taking me back to "that time" ...
As the adrenaline races through my veins with each rep, each drop of sweat ...
I ask myself:
Is it over?
Are you finished?


4 comments:
Not for a minute would I ever use 'finished' in a sentence for you.
Why not do it?
Thought provoking, to say the VERY least. Thank you, Deborah.
Well, to be truthful, you are the very kind of woman that the rest of us would like to have a little bit of. Look what your son said!
If it feeds your happy then you need to do it.
. . . and I have to thank you for the wonderful comments you always leave on my blog. They make my day always! smooches
Well, backatcha, Diz.
(wink)
Post a Comment