Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Friday, September 7, 2012

She Will Move Mountains

I decided a few weeks ago that I would prioritize my workout schedule in this manner, allowing for more rest and recovery time,
quality sleep,
and improved performance in the gym
-- as well as all other areas of life, hopefully:


CARDIO (5-6 days per week)

  • 3 "dark thirty" mornings during the week, i.e., getting up at 5:00 a.m.
  • 2-3 later-in-the-day 30-minute sessions, one or two of those between HIIT intervals
  • followup S/S cardio after lifting, 3 days per week, 15-20 mins
STRENGTH TRAINING (3-4 days per week)

  • As my schedule allows*, typically Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturday or Sunday
  • Preferably splits, unless short on time
  • 45-60 minutes per workout

* Saturdays will not be doable during most of football season since I will be traveling to PA for Big G's home games

This allows me to get a full 8 hours of sleep at least 3 days per week, sometimes 4; and a target of 7 hours of sleep all other days.

I realize that insufficient rest triggers a series of undesirable physiological aftermath that serves to backfire on me for all the work I put in towards keeping fit, energetic and "youthful."  Women need their rest.  Fifty-Something women?  Even more -- for, uh, preservation?  Fit-minded, fifty-something women need even more rest to allow their bodies ample recovery time and to keep cortisol levels in check, hormones happy, appetite levels balanced, fat burning optimized.



Today is Friday.  It was a sleep-in day for me.  When I returned home from the gym yesterday evening, after my post-workout shake, a shower, and later my evening meal, I found myself feeling more than ready for bed a little earlier than usual.  Trying to fit everything in as a working mom, I aim for a 10 o'clock bedtime.  Last night I was ready at 9 o'clock.  I washed off my makeup, brushed my teeth, grabbed a book and headed for bed.  Four pages later, I'm switching off the light.  Crashed.

8 ½ hours sleep
Oh how marvelous!
I felt like a new woman today.  My mind was clearer, sharper.  My body moved easier.  I felt energized and ready to take on the day.  Noticeably less aches, moodiness, brain fog.  The extra sleep did me a world of good.

My plan is to make it to the gym by 4:30ish, get in an hour of training and a short amount of light cardio following, and then relax and enjoy my Friday.  It IS FRIDAY, afterall...

Looking forward to that one, long-awaited indulgence.


and some jazz


Tomorrow is Game Day.
W&J FOOTBALL

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I love an action plan. This one is great!