For the last two or three years I've had on and off pain and discomfort in my posterior hip/glute area, towards top/center hip. It was mildly annoying, and would flare up without warning, last anywhere from a few minutes to several minutes, and then resolve itself. As flareups became more frequent and intense, I learned that a few sets of high knees and/or step ups on a bench would help to alleviate the soreness and I'd be good to go.
Lately, the flareup has not gone away. It's become more frequent (every few days or so) and it lasts longer, returning even after I do the exercises that have helped alleviate the soreness before. I suspected overtraining and not enough stretching (both before and after) had caused the symptoms to escalate. I knew it was time to take this a little more seriously. AND STRETCH! EVERY DAY! NO MORE EXCUSES.
In my research, I've now learned that the "spot" that has been giving me the problem is my gluteus medius muscle, and that I likely have a degree of piriformis syndrome. I was able to find some videos online demonstrating piriformis stretches that can help to alleviate and relax the strained/inflamed muscles. It is suggested to do these three x a day for best results to relieve the soreness, and then every so often to maintain the flexibility. Ironically, many of these "positions" or stretches are part of the Callanetics exercises ---- that HAD I BEEN DOING MORE REGULARLY would have likely alleviated the flareups, or at least their frequency. HEED THE CALL, T. Hit the floor and STRETCH!
These are the main four stretches that help with this problem,
along with contemporaneous hamstring stretches.
So this morning at the gym, after 18 mins of steady light cardio -- not too much resistance on the elliptical -- I began with piriformis and hamstring stretches, then I did the following leg and glute workout, far less weight than I normally work with, but increased reps, and very slow and controlled movements. Each set was followed by a set of stretches, alternating each set of exercises with a set of stretches, for a total of 40 mins.
- Leg press, 30 reps, 90 lbs, 4 sets
- Single leg press, 15 reps each, 35 lbs, 3 sets
- Donkey kickbacks/lateral kicks/heel to ceiling pulses on a bench, 12 reps per side, 4 sets, each followed by child's pose
- Hyperextension stretches/hold, bodyweight, 8 reps
- Single-leg glute bridges on a bench, body weight, 15 reps each, 3 sets
- Single-leg squats with foot on bench, bodyweight, 20 reps per leg, 1 set
When I left the gym, I noticed my gluteal muscles that HAD been tight and painful were feeling warm ... and relaxed ... and .....well, yummy & pampered! Though I had worked the glutes, hams and quad muscles, they felt supple and warm and relaxed. I had not gotten my heart rate up as high as I usually do when working lower body musculature, but my mission was specific -- more about therapy and healing.
I've learned a few things about my body. I've learned I can't take flexibility and range of motion for granted. I can't cut corners. I'm not as young as I used to be and recovery is not a given. There will be hell to pay if I don't take the time to stretch both before and after my workouts and my running.
My running will be on hold for a while to allow time for this to pass, giving my muscles some time to recover and heal. Is it an inconvenience? Yes. But it's a very good lesson learned.
Oh. And I will be sure to incorporate my Callanetics routine EVERY single week, without fail. No excuses. My personal best health and fitness goals depend on it.





No comments:
Post a Comment