Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Friday, August 10, 2012

Time to Recharge

T       H A      PB G
TKPW      O              D
T           A   E         S
T  P    RAO EU        D

Taking the day off today, I was able to sleep in a couple extra hours.  Wow.  Two hours.  Thats a bonus.  My body should be very happy with that treat and respond favorably with added energy and mental focus. 

B    R      EU
                EU          T
             O         PB


I need to take a minute to prepare my checklist of THINGS TO DO today so that I wont mismanage my time, so that I can make the most of my day off. 

Ive focused heavily on perfecting my realtime skills this week, and I feel that Ive made a good bit of progress. I seem to hear everything through my steno, as a result of the added focus and attention to my writing style and skills, differentiating the nuances of the English language that most people never even think about when listening to the spoken word.  I automatically write it in my head, I see it in steno with my brain.  An involuntary reflex.

(...So is that "cent," or is it "scent," or is it "sent" ...)



For instance, I attended a Republican Womens fundraising dinner last night, two friends and I having been invited to sing as part of their entertainment call it what you will following dinner and before the introduction of candidates and slate of speakers.  As the speakers took the podium and laid out their itineraries, rallying the support of those in attendance, I found myself taking their speeches down in my head in shorthand.  It wasnt intentional.  My mind just automatically started processing their words in steno in my head.  I tried to relax my brain and just LISTEN to the context, but having been immersed in a concentrated study and practice of writing more cleanly over the past week, it was hard to flip that switch. 

Im used to rhetorical courtroom technology -- briefs and pleadings, rules of evidence, citations, objections, stipulations, motions for this, that and the other legalese that has become so automatic and second nature for me.  A campaign speech, I found, was a bit more challenging.  I was hearing words in a whole different context, and its amazing how that can affect ones ability to process information.  That initial element of hesitation:  What?  Do what?  The brain is an amazing machine, and it CAN learn and respond, but only after given a chance to adapt to the new stimuli through repetition, practice, and commitment. 

I think that applies to most areas of learning any new skill or habit.  The first few attempts at new territory can be humbling, confusing, frustrating, even disheartening.  But given the chance, our bodies in concert with our brain can quickly adapt and progress.  We are most capable of mastering whatever hurdle is set before us with patience, commitment, dedication, determination and perseverance.

Its been a busy week, mentally challenging.  But Ive made progress.  And yes, Im glad its Friday.  I welcome the opportunity to get some other things accomplished, play Taxi Mom, fiddle with a project, work out, stretch, take a long bath with a glass of wine and some relaxing tunes, and UNWIND.  Recharge.

A nice steady rain would be fabulous.  Like the gardens and flowers of late summer, Im tired, THIRSTY for that long overdue cleansing and renewal.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I bet you got tons done and relaxed as well!