The charm of history
and its enigmatic lesson consist in the fact that from age to age, nothing
changes, and yet everything is completely different.
-Aldous HuxleyI was browsing through my fitness journal from over four years ago, smiling to myself at the life lesson I was going through at that time. It's funny how history repeats itself. We learn from history, from life lessons, but it helps to REMEMBER those lessons for them to be most effective.
Today is supposedly BLUE MONDAY, the most depressing day of the year, they say. I call those days "crappy days." So better stated, the "CRAPPY MONDAY." (Again, maybe blue tends to get a bad rap.) They're also forecasting much colder -- frigid -- temperatures starting tonight and lasting throughout the week.
My archived "crappy day" was actually a Thursday -- no day of the week is spared from FUNK. But it being "Blue Monday," I decided to redirect this "lesson" to my blog.
And for the record, it may be Blue Monday, but I've decided that I'll defy the odds. I choose to have a pretty decent day -- it's my day off, for starters, and I refuse to let pending bad weather or "history lessons" dictate the outcome.
AUGUST 7, 2008: Taking a break from a hellish assignment that began yesterday, the catalyst to my loss of control in every aspect of my life yesterday.
Am I refusing to accept personal blame for my shortcomings? Not by any stretch. It's just that the circumstances under which I found myself yesterday (annoying, arrogant, rapid-fire, mush-mouthed, highly-technical witness, whose testimony I found increasingly impossible to take down), combined with other stressful situations at home, pre-TOM crap, and just an overall feeling-blah-don't-want-to-deal-with-this-anymore day, I decided it was best to stay away from others, to retreat to my cave and try to let it pass rather than inflict my demons upon others.
I truly needed an exorcist.
I have regained perspective today, and the embers are no longer visible.
Today is a new day. Coming up for air for a minute to blog here (trying to transcribe my horrific notes from yesterday's job from hell), I know that I need to:
Stay focused on getting this job completed;
Making amends with others;
Regaining my perspective for my personal fitness goals;
Knowing that one crappy day is just that, one crappy day.
I will move past this.

1 comment:
I agree with you about blue. I love that color. It's the color of the sky! What can be sad about that?
I also don't appreciate Debbie Downer as a phrase though. :)
Post a Comment