Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Without Inspiration ...


All about fitness. That would be me. And those who know me best -- or know me even a little, frankly -- know this to be true.

When sharing a routine I had done recently at my gym with an online friend, I attempted to respond to her question with an explanation and some suggestions and guidelines on my routine as well as alternatives.  My response post to her was zapped by the Powers That Be.  I will leave it at that.  That horse is dead and I'm not in any hurry to resurrect it.

But she knows where to find me -- here -- and I figure there's more than one way to skin a cat, ja?  Yes, I saved my response to her in a Word document before attempting to post them to her question.  Hey, I preserve words for a living and it's not an easy habit to break.

Her question:

So . . . looking at your list of exercises, you hang from a bar and do crunches? That scares the living heck out of me!! I don't even think my gym has a bar. I'm going to look today. My gym is very bare bones. But I shouldn't put the cart before my horse just yet.

And my response:

Yes, I do hanging ab/core work, and my guess is that you DO have a bar in your gym.  If not, maybe you have a captain’s chair which is a similar exercise, done the same way, but a little easier to accomplish because you’re supported by your whole upper torso, rather than just your arms and traps.

I’ve included links to images and a description underneath each.

I’ve also included images of a hyperextension bench, which helps to build your core as well, specifically the back.  Just make sure you don’t overextend (arch) which can injure your back.  I do side crunches on this hyperextension bench as well, again, good core work!

Tons of ways to work our core.  I switch my routine up constantly.  

I plan to add more examples in my blog under FITNESS in days to come.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2002/kneeraisefront.jpg
(HIP AND LEG RAISES FROM A CAPTAIN’S CHAIR)

http://www.build-some-muscle.com/images/hanging_leg_raise.jpg
(HANGING HIP LEG RAISES FROM A BAR)

http://armandofitnessexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/hanging-leg-raises.jpg
(HANGING HIP LEG RAISES FROM A BAR USING SLEEVES)

http://ewf.sm/img/xmark-fitness-commercial-11-gauge-hyperextension-weight-bench-45-degree_97913_500.jpg
HYPEREXTENSION BENCH

(CRUNCH SITUPS DONE ALONE OR HOLDING A PLATE OR DB; OR PRESSES, HOLDING A PLATE OR DB, RAISING TO SITUP POSITION WHILE PRESS/PUSHING THE WEIGHT UP ABOVE AND SLIGHTLY IN FRONT OF YOUR HEAD)
HYPEREXTENSION BENCH BEING USED FOR SIDE CRUNCHES:  (Beginner, Advance and Intermediate Positions:  Hands crossed over chest; one hand behind head; or both hands behind head; holding a weight.)


3 comments:

Deborah said...

Fantastic!

I'm checking out all of these links. Smooches and say goodbye to pooches.

Deborah said...

Alright - get this; in my head I saw you hanging from the bar with your knees. That's what scared me. I might even be able to do these!

Our gym has this twisty core worker thingy. You set the weight and the seat spins with your effort. I am not describing, but it gives good core. For now?

T said...

There you go! So nail that twisty core thang!

Now you've inspired me. I want to hang from a bar by my knees. Yes. I do. Yikes!