I sympathize with
alcoholics. I've said this before, but honestly I do. Or any addict, for that
matter. Name your addiction, whatever it is. Addictions are nagging,
controlling, relentless, and they demand extreme discipline and vigilance.
Can they be overcome?
Yes. But it is NOT easy.
No man should judge
unless he asks himself in absolute honesty
whether in a similar
situation he might not have done the same.
-Viktor Frankl
author, neurologist and psychiatrist, Holocaust survivor
(1905-1997)
I think about how good I feel
when I eat clean and make good choices. I feel better, move easier, sleep
better, my skin is clearer, more energy ... the list goes on.
Why do I allow the sin of
temptation to sneak onto my shoulder at times and try to maniuplate me with its
taunts?
On and on and on, the taunting comes and goes.
When I'm strong, I thumb my nose at the voice of temptation. I ignore
it. I refocus my thoughts on how I good I feel when I'm eating clean.
And then there are times when I falter, fail, and feel sorry for myself
.... woe is me -- I begin believing the lies of The Voice.
And the self-sabotage happens. I suffer the consequences. And then the
cycle begins again.
I had this conversation with a friend of mine last night at the gym. We
laughed about it. Yeah, I suppose it is funny. But it's a demon that many of us
face on a daily basis.
I was searching for recipes
online the other day, trying to find a yummy appetizer recipe to wow my friends
at an upcoming Christmas party. In my search, I saw tons of delicious recipes
for cakes, cookies, breads, carb-and-fat loaded appetizers -- oh, the
temptation. I wanted it all. I found myself saving recipe after recipe to my
laptop.
Why? Am I gonna bake
all of this junk over the next few weeks? Just because "well, it's the
holidays, after all ... live a little." Really? That's the reason?
But what about AFTER
the holidays? When life returns to "normal" -- whatever that is -- and
people go about their daily lives, back to work, winter sets in, days drag on
...
Where will I find
myself?
With the extra weight
and sluggishness from the holiday indulgences?
Or will I be enjoying the endorphins of clean eating, regular exercise, sufficient and uninterrupted rest at night?
Which will it be, T?
Will you be the victim of deception once more?
2 comments:
OMgosh girl - you are speaking the TRUTH. I am forswearing 'treats' this holiday. One leads to one dozen for me.
In a crazy way it helps me knowing that you have to be aware of the treat-monster as well. I don't feel alone!
Yes, that's it. One leads to another, to another, to another. It's a total snowball effect for me too.
I fight it every day, Deborah. Every.Single.Day.
And yes, it does galvanize us knowing others fight it too.
And that's why I like hanging out at the gym...same reason...it keeps me honest, inspired, energized, focused.
Post a Comment