what we cherish
a longing for yesterday
a longing to hold on and never
ever
let go
a longing for a chance for a "do over"
to say what we wish we would have said
then
and would give ANYTHING
to say
now.
Familiar conversations
recalled over and over again in my head
then shutting my eyes to silence them
Choosing to suppress their surfacing
the longing...
unable to deal effectively
with the hole in my heart
just keep moving
smiling boldly
singing loudly
running feverishly from here to there
and back again
desperately trying
to mask the restlessness
of longing...
Distractions
redirect my helpless thoughts
traffic
chores
errands
music
children's laughter
simple pleasures
and sunsets
and warm crackling fires
and cardio
definitely cardio!
And when that inner storm of longing
subsides
and the lens comes into focus
I am forced
to count my blessings
shamefully certain
that I am indeed
blessed beyond measure and
knowing that
life
and love
will go on.
My heart warms as
I hear the distant and soft melody
and I feel the
Wonder of Yuletide...
Christmastime
has come once more.
Christmas, my child,
is love in action.
Every time we love,
every time we give,
it’s Christmas.
Dale Evans Rogers

No comments:
Post a Comment