Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I Want a White Christmas

Ain't lookin too good, Mr. Weatherman, for those of us who want a
White Christmas!

In our neck of the woods, we're looking at snow flurries on Friday, and then progressively warmer through Christmas Eve, as high as 50 degree temps.

BUMMED.

Oh, well.  One of these days I see myself traveling north to celebrate Christmas for a few days.  I've always wanted to do that anyway.  A New England Christmas.  That always sounds so enchanting.  Inviting.  Romantic. 

The last few days have been busy at the office and in court as we wind down this year's business in the legal system.  A day here, there, in the 10+ days or so before and after Christmas, but otherwise, my judge tries to keep scheduling cleared to allow our staff time with our families while celebrating the holiday.  He even tends to go a little easier on sentencing criminals those few weeks before Christmas, prefacing his ruling with, "Well, sir, I have a little holly in my heart these days, so ...."

Holly in my heart.

I like that phrase.  We all should have holly in our hearts.  We should take a big deep breath when sitting backed up in traffic, or in the line at the post office, or in line at the grocery store.  It's a busy time of year.  Expect it.  Go with the flow and embrace the energy of Christmas celebrations.

 
My son is home from college, and having all three sons in the house again is pretty cool.  Each year is different because they change and mature from year to year.  I never know what to expect.  Big G, my middle son, is clearly the most talkative and animated.  He jokes the most, laughs the most, eats the most, trashes the house the most.  He is the energy of the house right now, and his two brothers are taking a stab at competing with him on who can be the loudest, the funniest, the coolest.  MEN!

He texted me yesterday while on my lunch hour to ask me if I would be at Sam's Club today...YES...okay, so pick up two of those huge packages of chicken breasts...OKAY...and two or three bags of frozen vegetables...OKAY...and we're out of fish oil too....OKAY...and we're running low on protein powder...GOT IT...okay, thanks...

Unloading groceries yesterday afternoon, I say to him, "Do you want me to go ahead and split up this one package of chicken into freezer bags so it will stay fresh and will keep longer?" 

"No.  It won't be around long enough for that.  This should be gone in a few days."

That's a helluva lot of chicken.

Cha-Ching.  I guess it's cheaper than steak.  Or salmon.  Or shrimp.  I just need to realize that our grocery bill is gonna double for the next couple of weeks -- at least -- with company, holiday meals and snacks, and an extra able-bodied man to feed. 

Too bad I don't live closer to Sam's Club.  And it's too bad they didn't get a deer over Thanksgiving. 

G plans to bow hunt next week on the farm.  Maybe he'll get lucky this time. 

Artwork I proudly display year after year...


As of today, most of my wrapping is done.  Most of my shopping is done.  And only one more day after today left at the office, since I plan on taking Friday off.

My plan is to finish up last minute shopping Friday morning, then begin the afternoon lighting a few yummy-smelling Christmas candles, listening to my Jazz Holiday station on Pandora (LOVE IT), do a little baking, and then try to finish my wrapping -- all while enjoying a glass or two of Ergo.  Indeed it will be Friday, a most glorious Friday, and I plan to then kick back and watch the season transform from hectic and busy to serene and beautiful.

But I'm still missing one thing ...

The  icing on my Christmas.

I WANT A WHITE CHRISTMAS!
 

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Holly in my heart.

You are organized girl! This is a calming post. I love it and need it.

Happy Holidays woman! Kiss those three sons for me. I have two sons through my girls. Boys are so fun!