I cannot
imagine the grief of the parents, family and friends mourning the loss of
recent events in Connecticut.
Upon
learning of this tragedy and over the course of the following days, I
instinctively listened only long enough to get an accurate summary account of
the facts. That was all I needed to
hear. And then the volume controls, both
literally and figuratively, would be muted.
I would intentionally walk away... or switch
channels. I had to let it go. I closed my
eyes and my ears and simply shut it out.
It is
not with an insensitivity that I close my ears and eyes to this horror. To the contrary, my heart lies wide open, bleeding
for all the hurt and sadness that this massacre has caused.
My
response to these events has been simply one of constant prayer…and introspection….
just enough to allow me to grasp what has happened, to allow myself to feel their
loss.
Dwelling on the barrage of media coverage serves absolutely no purpose
whatsoever – not for myself, not for anyone.
If anything, it’s like pouring salt into an open wound, prodding and
deepening and enlarging the gaping hole of pain. And especially
at this time of year.
The scarring
of my own heart, an aching emptiness from past loss and longing, remains a daily challenge
that I struggle to deal with as I continue to heal and accept and move forward.
The reality is that each of us must find
productive ways of coping, accepting, and healing when we suffer loss. The media's fixation, the constant rehash of events, over and over and over again fueling energy into the horrors of this tragedy seems pointless to me. How does one find strength in this overexposoure?
We can’t
change what has happened. We can’t bring
those we’ve lost back.
I lift
up in prayer those who are left behind.
I pray
that they will find comfort and healing and strength in the days ahead through God’s
tender mercies and from the togetherness of friends, family, co-workers,
neighbors.
May this season's celebration of the Birth
of Love through Christ our Savior fill each and every home and heart with
peace, joy, strength and love in the days ahead.
Indeed the Gift of the Holy Spirit is and always will be sufficient for every
need.

1 comment:
I'm with you tPretty. I read on the Huffington Post last night that the town is begging all of the press to please leave them alone and go home. I really hope they do.
Post a Comment