Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Monday, January 14, 2013

...And So the World Kept Spinning

While lifting weights last Thursday at my gym, I ran into a friend of mine who is taking spinning classes with me.  We've been signing up for the same classes, preferring the Monday and Thursday night classes.  I had texted her last week to let her know that the week of January 14th was booked solid on all four nights for the Intermediate Spinning classes.  Obviously there are only so many bikes, and so there is a limit to the number of people taking the class each night.

She had stopped by the weights section after leaving her spinning class (I had to end up taking the class for the day prior because the Thursday night class was already booked).  We discussed the fact that people are signing up for classes to insure they'll get in, then don't show up for the class, which prevents others from participating.  This is annoying.
And it's rude frankly.

The management decided to add a note to the signup sheet admonishing people to call if they have to cancel.  There will be a list of alternates on the signup sheet, and they can then take the place of the no-shows.

Once the word got out about this, apparently some people had already begun calling in to cancel.

Okay.  So uh, if they weren't serious about showing up in the first place, why sign up at all?  "Inconsiderate" the most diplomatic word I can think of right now.

As a result of those cancellations, my friend offered to add our names to the Monday AND Thursday spin classes this week, and we got in after all.  I guess if we want to be assured a slot in the spin classes, we'll have to be more vigilant with the signup sheet.

I'm hanging in there so far with this new endeavor, spinning.  It's gotten easier.  The first night was a killer.  For one thing, I had cranked the resistance up too far, it being my first time.  It seemed so easy at first, but as time passed and the intensity intervals increased, I became more and more fatigued and even had to stop a few times and just spin at my own pace to catch my breath, recover, then I'd join back in.  soaked to the bone and exhausted, I was praying for the class to be over, vowing to never return.  

But I'm not a quitter.  I was determined to make it through the next time and to make this work for me.  After class I spoke with the instructor and we adjusted my bike a bit (again), and he suggested I dial back on the resistance and work up a little more slowly.  Good advice.  The second time was far easier!

Tonight's class will be my fourth.  I'm going for 12 classes, and then I'll re-evaluate whether to stay with it or change up my game plan.

Saturday at the gym was a glute/ham day, and I showed them no mercy.  Still feeling the effects two days later.  It was a productive workout, as well as extra 20 mins of cardio tacked on at the end.

Here it is January 14th, and so far I'm feeling good, positive, motivated.  Things are going well, and so far I've made a lot of strides in cleaning up my eating and regaining focus after the holidays.  It being winter, it's a lot tougher to "hang on."  But so far, so good.  Onward.

I'm wearing out my Pandora app for Cardio/Dance music lately.  Now if only they had an app for virtual sunshine for those of us in withdrawal.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I've been on vacation, then a grueling work deadline (working at home), but I'm heading to the gym today. I can't believe it's 1.15 already.

Your gym sounds nice with all those classes!

T said...

Vacation -- good for you! And deadlines, not so good, but been there. That gym workout should do you some good relieving stress from the deadlines and such.

It's always a spot-on release valve for my stressors.