It occurred to me this morning as I was getting ready for work, coughing my head off, wondering how I was gonna make it through our jury trial that was set to go today, that dogs don't cough.
My little Chessie kept looking at me like: What's wrong with you? Why do you keep making those annoying noises? Can't you stop? How annoying.
I wanted to turn to her and say: Stop staring at me like that. I have no contol over this, you know! It's not my fault. And how would you know? You're a dog. You never have to worry about annoying coughs.
But then it occurred to me. We have annoying coughs. That's life. Dogs have annoying barks. And that's life. A dog's life.
Thankfully when I arrived at work I was told the jury trial had settled. Whew. Was I ever relieved. I made the mistake of taking "non-drowsy" (right!) cold medicine in the hopes that it would keep me from coughing during the trial. (Reporters can't exactly cover their mouths when their hands are on the keys...or blow their noses...or sneeze into a tissue...or any of those "comfort" things that most people with colds take for granted) The only purpose the medicine served was to make me sleepy, lethargic, out of focus, dizzy and somewhat nauseous. I knew almost immediately as I was driving to work: MISTAKE.
Watching the clock as we worked our way through the morning docket, I began craving my bed. My coughing had settled somewhat, but now I was fighting the sleep, desperately trying to stay focused, pretending to be alert and coherent. Following court, my plan was to pack it up, take the rest of the day off, take a long nap, and hope for the best. My son is on his way home from college for spring break, and I DON'T want to spread my germs. I want to enjoy his visit home, not be stuck in bed or coughing my head off.
This cough-and-cold monster reared its ugly head unmercifully on this household beginning Friday, and it hasn't left yet. NOT a good weekend. Not at all.
I've gotten my nap in and I feel somewhat better. At least my head feels clearer and I feel more rested. And I wasn't even distrubed by barking dogs. Little blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment