Marco Island Sunset

Marco Island Sunset
Sunset at Marco ....my slice of paradise

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"Coloring is my thing," she said.

I'm transcribing an interview for an attorney friend of mine.  It was an interview of a seven-year-old little girl by a social worker.  To help put the child at ease, the social worker prefaced the interview with some general questions to help establish rapport between the two of them.  One of the questions was:  "What do you like to do for fun?"

The little girl's response, in the sweetest, most straightforward voice, made me smile inside.  Such innocence and sincerity from the mouths of babes...

Q     Did you get to play in the snow yesterday?
A Yeah.  My mommy build one snowman.  I build two snowmans.  And one of them was Lion King.  
Q One of them was Lion King?  Oh, wow.  I bet that was fun.
A And sometimes for fun I like to also -- uh, when I get nervous I like to get out a reading book and read it because -- or, when I'm really, really nervous, I just go out -- I just look outside and it calms me down.  And when I get so mad, I just get a coloring book and some crayons and color.  Because coloring is like my thing.

Wow.
So simple, isn't it?
We can learn life lessons from children.  

When I'm nervous [stressed],
I'll get out a good book to read.

And when I get really, really nervous 
[overly stressed or upset], 
I'll just look outside because it calms me down.  

And when I get mad 
[annoyed/frustrated/irritated], 
I'll just get out my coloring book 
[easel/projects] 
and crayons 
[paints] 
and color 
[create]. 

Problems solved.

No comments: